The government has realized the evolving important role of Rwandan Diaspora in the national development of the country. This importance is envisaged in the diverse sectors of Rwanda such as; Education, Health, Private Sector Development, Trade and Investment, Knowledge transfers, Image building, Culture development, Unit and Reconciliation, Community development, Remittances, etc. The Government of Rwanda reaffirmed its commitment by creating an organ in charge of Rwandan Diaspora on 28th February 2007.The Government further reinforced it into Diaspora General Directorate (DGD) on 20th June 2008.
Currently, Diaspora General Directorate offers the following services to Rwandan Diaspora
* Information on investment opportunities;
* Information on vacant posts that are in the country especially in public institutions;
* Availing information on unity and reconciliation,
* Passport assistance;
* Criminal record assistance;
* Tax exemption assistance;
* Facilitation on acquisition of housing In Rwanda.
The Diaspora General Directorate also renders many other services that are not mentioned, but it considers to be beneficial to its Diaspora when the need arises.